13 November 2006

N.O.I.A

According to the description on Discogs,

"N.O.I.A.'s career can be divided into two parts: during the first, the group is formed of five persons; both words and music are absolutely new, repetitive and absurd. In 1980 N.O.I.A. win the first Italian rock festival and EMI releases a compilation including their songs "Europe" and "Hunger in the east". In 1983 Davide Piatto composes "Dirty Talk" sung by Rossana Casale. The song is released as "Klein & MBO" (a ghost group). It reaches the top of the charts all over the world, inventing House Music. The second period in N.O.I.A.'s career begins in 1983 when they sign to "Italian Records" and become a studio group with three members only and no live activity. Their music becomes easier but always repetitive and obsessive."
Now, I'm not sure that they invented House Music (I can't say I've even heard of that track, and I'm pretty up my House classics). But regardless, I'm high on the 80's electronic vibe right now and in the second period of their career, they produced some great tracks with which I am going to share with you.

My knowledge of the group started literally a couple of months ago with my purchase of the Confuzed Disco LP (blogged here in October). Gradually, the tracks from that album have become more and familiar and the N.O.I.A contributions are among the best. To me, this kind of sound is the evolution of disco and the beginning of house without actually being either of the two. The group are still going now, more info can be found at their MySpace page (although I'm not sure that it is an official one). Enjoy the music!

Do You Wanna Dance?
True Love (Sexual Version)
Stranger in a Strange Land (Club Mix)

No comments: