15 October 2007

Who's Zoomin' Who?


I picked up this 1985 Aretha Franklin 12" from the Notting Hill Soul & Dance Exchange bargain basement by chance on a recent trip to London. Each time I've listened to it I've grown to like it more and more; it's a classic example of that electronic soul sound that was so popular during the 80's. Certain sections of the vocal track were used in an old Rave track and for days it was bugging me that I couldn't quite place it. Eventually, I discovered that it was Shock the Beats by Electric Choc - a piano led, breakbeat fuelled Italian house record from 1991. The music from this era is one of my favourites for Dance music. Although I was far too young to be out there dancing to any of it, it seemed to be devoid of any genres and bastard sub-genres, with DJ's like Slipmatt playing any music they could find to just make you feel good and dance. If these two tracks don't put a smile on your face, you're probably dead inside.

Aretha - Who's Zoomin' Who? (Dance Mix).mp3

Electric Choc - Shock the Beats (Piano Mix).mp3

Yourfilehost alternative links: Zoom | Shock

No comments: